The fundamental rule for equality of fractions: for any fraction a/b and any number k not equal to 0.
The equality of fractions can be illustrated by comparing parts and with sets of objects this can be justified a process called simplifying fractions.
Simplifying of Fractions
Simplifying of fractions is reducing both the numerator and denominator by the same number resulting in its simplest form which the fraction is said to be in lowest terms.
3/15: Both 3 and 15 can be divided by 3 making the simplified fraction 1/5
18/30: Both 18 and 30 can be divided by 6 making the simplified fraction 3/5
Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions
Most commonly fractions stand for part of a whole or a number less than 1. When a fraction and whole number are written together they are called a mixed number. (For example 1-1/2 or 6-5/8) The mixed number can be also be written as an improper fraction by combining the whole number and fraction.
I have always had trouble with converting improper fractions and mixed numbers. That video made it a whole lot clearer for me.
ReplyDeleteThe two blogs were really helpful and I love the Soccer blog. It was a fun and helpful game. I liked the set-up of your blog because I could click on the main points and practice or find another explanation.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the video to help understand how to do fractions. I also liked the examples you used to explain how to do the problems.
ReplyDelete