Thursday, February 17, 2011

Integers



Integers
The whole numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, . . . , together with the negatives of the whole numbers,  -1, -2, -3, -4, . . . , are called integers. For each integer to the right of 0, there is a corresponding integer to the left of 0. These pairs are called opposites or negatives.  One of the easiest way to visualize integers is with the number line model which is demonstrated in this video. Black and red chip models are another way for visualizing integers that you can make learning enjoyable with this link to black and red chips models.

Rules of Signs for Addition
  • Negative plus negative equals negative
  • Positive plus negative equals positive if first number is greater than second number
  • Positive plus negative equals negative if first number is less than second number
Rules of Signs for Subtraction
  • Add the opposite
Rules of Signs for Multiplication
  • Positive multiplied by positive equals positive
  • Positive multiplied by negative equals negative
  • Negative multiplied by a positive equals a negative
  • Negative multiplied by a negative equals a positive
Rules of Signs for Division
  •  Positive divided by positive equals positive
  • Positive divided by negative equals negative
  • Negative divided by a positive equals negative
  • Negative divided by a negative equals positive                                                                                                                                                                      Practice your skills

6 comments:

  1. I think the number line method is the best, well at least for me because I am a visual learner and with the number line it is alot easier to see the difference of negative and positive numbers and where they stand on the number line. Its also easy to move up and down, to add and subtract because its all layed out infront of you.

    Amber Malmgren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number line with the Lego guy was a great visual, but what I liked most was the breaking down of the math phrase, starting, facing, and walking. This will really help kids understand which way to go. Also I liked how you did bullet points on the main ideas. I should of done something like that on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the number line concept is a good one for visual learners. I like to be able to have a visual reference when solving math problems; it helps make it more tangable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The number line is an excellent way to explain how to add and subtract intergers. Children need visual aids to help them learn new concepts, and the number line clearly demonstrates not only how to add and subtract them, but why the sums and differences are what they are. I also enjoyed the Lego man, a great way to get children's attention and have learning fun is through toys and other items they can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi!! love your blog!!!
    Im going to have to agree with everyone! I thought that the number line was a great way to explain how to add and subtract! I would definitely use this to help my students in my classroom someday! It actually helped me understand it more because i am a visual learner! I also liked how you listed out all the rules for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I could compare the differences in each very easily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video helped me understand. I didnt really understand when she was explaining in class about the walking forward but the video helped a lot. and the lego was super cute

    ReplyDelete